Dublin Office: +353 1 8119883
Cork Office: +353 21 4505390
Fax: +353 21 4509628

Email: info@bts-ireland.com


Tour Duration: Half Day: AM & PM Tours Available

Depart from port of Dublin to Powerscourt Gardens


Powerscourt is one of the most beautiful country estates in Ireland. Situated in the mountains of Wicklow, it was originally an important strategic site for the Anglo-Normans who came to Ireland in the 12th century. By the year 1300 a castle had been built here and was in the possession of the le Poer (Power) family from which it takes its name. The succeeding centuries saw the castle held for different periods by powerful families such as the O'Tooles and the Fitzgeralds, Earls of Kildare.
In 1603 Powerscourt Castle and lands were granted to a new English arrival in the area: Richard Wingfield. Following a successful military career in Ireland, Flanders, France and Portugal, Wingfield was knighted and in 1600 was appointed as Marshal of Ireland. His descendants were to remain at Powerscourt for over 350 years. 
After Lunch, we will return to Dublin City where you will be able to spend some free time seeing all of the cities local attrations.

Garden History

The gardens at Powerscourt were laid out in two main periods. When the house was rebuilt in the decade after 1731, the surrounding grounds were laid out in a series of formal rides and parkland to the North, with carefully planned gardens and terraces to the South. The design reflected the desire to create a garden which was part of the wider landscape. To the north formal tree plantations framed the vista from the house, while a walled garden, fish pond, cascades, grottos and terraces lay to the south. Walks wound through the wooded grounds and a fine tree lined avenue was created.
Further generations of the Wingfields maintained the grounds, adding the Japanese Gardens, Pepper Pot Tower and continuing to plant specimen trees. In 1961 the Estate passed to the Slazenger family, under whose aegis the Gardens received more care and attention. The gardens were open to the public and in 1974 a major refurbishment was carried out so that the house could be opened to visitors


Retun to Dublin