Dublin Office: +353 1 8119883
Cork Office: +353 21 4505390
Fax: +353 21 4509628

Email: info@bts-ireland.com

Lismore Gardens & Castle Tour

Tour Duration: Half Day: AM & PM Tours Available

Depart from port of Cobh either AM or PM. Travel to Lismore County Waterford

Lismore Castle & GardensLismore Castle & Gardens

There has been a castle at Lismore ever since 1185 when Prince John built a "castellum" on the present site. In 1753, the Castle and its lands passed to the fourth Duke of Devonshire following his marriage in 1748 to Lady Charlotte Boyle, the only surviving daughter and heiress of the fourth Earl of Cork (1695-1753). The sixth Duke (1790-1858), known as the bachelor Duke, undertook the most extensive restoration of the Castle. He was a patron of Dickens, Thackeray and, most importantly, Joseph Paxton (1801-1868) who joined the Duke's establishment as under gardener in 1823 and became his friend and consultant in many spheres. Botanist, inventor, engineer, architect, town planner, and railway promoter, Joseph Paxton not only designed the Crystal Palace for the London exhibition of 1851, he also organised the army works and served in the Crimean war, and became a Liberal member of Parliament. Tsar Nicholas 1st of Russia knighted him in 1844 and he was later knighted by Queen Victoria in 1851. It was he who played a leading part between 1840 and 1858 in creating Lismore Castle as it is today.

The historic gardens at Lismore Castle are divided into two very different halves. The Upper Garden is a complete example of the 17th century walled garden first constructed here by Richard Boyle, the 1st Earl of Cork, in about 1605. The outer walls and terraces remain and the plantings have changed to match the tastes of those living within the Castle. The Lower Garden was mostly made in the 19th century for the 6th Duke of Devonshire, Joseph Paxton's patron. This garden is informal with shrubs, trees and lawns, and the stately Yew Avenue is much older, perhaps from the 17th century.

 

 

Retun to Cork